Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

How I Met Your Mother Rant

The following blog post will contain spoilers if you haven’t seen the May 9th episode of How I Met Your Mother. If you haven’t seen it yet and you don’t want spoilers, don’t read on.

This week on How I Met Your Mother, Ted had to make an important decision on the whole “Arcadian VS GNB Building Plan” Debacle. Originally, Ted was going to choose to demolish the Arcadian, an old hotel. However, there were protests going on about it, and the head protestor, Zoey, had UST with Ted. But Zoey was unhappily married to some guy. They later break up, and Zoey and Ted begin to date. At first, they seemed to work out, but Ted’s friends would always be like “You can’t date someone who’s against the GNB building”, and Ted would reply with “Cross that bridge when we go to it”. Anyway, Zoey told Ted how she used to live there because her family was poor, and then he didn’t want to tear it down. This week, though, it was revealed that Barney would lose his job if Ted didn’t get the Arcadian torn down. Ted decided that Barney was more important than Zoey, so he decides to tear down the Arcadian. Ted and Zoey then break up.

That decision pissed me off. I mean, yeah sure, Ted’s supposed to be a good friend and all, but if it was the other way around, Barney would shrug and tell Ted “Not my problem”. I know that Barney has known Ted longer than Zoey has, and that Ted’s supposed to be the good friend, but Barney’s screwed up Ted’s life before already. It wouldn’t hurt if Barney got fired. Besides, the show would probably have him get his job back in 2 minutes by doing something Marty-Stu-ish.

It always bugs me how Barney is so lucky in the show. Yeah sure, his family life is screwed up, he probably has hundreds of STDs, and he’s emotionally messed up, but the show never portrays him or his decisions as the “Wrong one”. His womanizing and jerk ways are always portrayed comically. And they always give Barney the Large Ham scenes. He always has dream sequences, elaborate costumes, and the craziest plotlines. And meanwhile, Lily and Robin have little episodes about them.

Okay, so this was more of a "I don’t care too much about Barney” blog post, but still. xD

3 comments:

  1. Agreed, he's funny and all, but like you said, he wouldn't have done the same thing. Maybe it's just my, but he kind of seems to get in the way/ruin relationships/ of a lot of story lines too :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late comment. I wanted to watch the finale before I commented just in case that would affect my opinion, but then I got homework.

    Yeah, he does. The finale implied that he changes, but I feel like it's going to be misleading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I haven't watched the finale yet. I should probably do that after this. Lol wish I could give a better response :)! In case it didn't record on my DVR, what happened in it?

    ReplyDelete