Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Really, nick@nite?

Yesterday, I was watching nick@nite , and I was horrified to see a bumper promoting a show that’s coming soon. No, not Friends (Which is going to come this September, according to Wikipedia and some other sites), but That 70’s Show. I understand that I’m usually overreacting about nick@nite’s programming, but I have some ‘legitimate’ reasons for why I don’t want That 70’s Show on nick@nite:

It’s already on three other cable channels – ABC Family, MTV, and TeenNick. Okay, so TeenNick is a premium cable channel, but it’s also on local affiliates.

It’s REALLY out of the target demographic- A show about teenagers on a block with most shows revolving around families. Those teens also smoke pot. I hate to sound like a prude soccer mom who gets offended, but how do the nick@nite executives expect the target audience, families/soccer moms, to like this?

nick@nite has enough shows on their block- On the nick@nite website, they advertise eight shows. Three of them used to get shown a lot, but now are gone or are put on the graveyard slots (The Cosby Show, Home Improvement, and Family Matters). One of them is more or less gone, but nobody’s complaining (Glenn Martin DDS). That leaves Everybody Hates Chris, My Wife and Kids, George Lopez, and The Nanny.

Sadly, nick@nite doesn’t know how to organize those four shows, either. EHC and My Wife and Kids usually fight for any slot before 10:00 PM. George Lopez and My Wife and Kids generally have at least one marathon a month each. And they usually give The Nanny any slot which they other shows haven’t claimed, which barely happens. Now with a fifth show, The Nanny and possibly EHC will get neglected even more.

I get that the nick@nite executives probably figured “Hey, we could get the teen demographic, and since Viacom already has rights to air it from TeenNick and MTV, it won’t cost us as much!”, but really. This isn’t expanding your horizons.

And what happened to their other shows? I remember they used to have The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Full House, but they seemed to just cut both of those out of the schedule.

All of this has me slightly worried. In around five years, will nick@nite consist of Two and a Half Men, According to Jim, and Everybody Loves Raymond, along with My Wife and Kids and George Lopez? Will this happen to TVLand, too?

3 comments:

  1. That sucks about nick@nite! That's 70 Show is on a lot of channels already, there's no need for them to put it on there. I guess they just think it'll bring in a new audience, but it's already on like 3 other channels, so not many people are just going to watch it on nick@nite. That's pretty stupid of them to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.
    This weekend, they're having a Father's Day Marathon, featuring George Lopez, My Wife and Kids, and That 70's Show. Yet no 'The Nanny'.
    I get that the show's about Fran, and not Max, but still. They make every effort to exclude The Nanny from marathons. It was only on one Mother's Day marathon (To be fair, Fran did eventually become their stepmother). And if they do have The Nanny marathons, it's at the worst possible times, like a school week during February.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Responding to this way late, sorry!
    That's stupid that they didn't include it on the marathon! I mean it might be more about her, but it's still family-oriented or whatever. How does That 70s' Show get a spot on a Father's Day marathon, but not that!

    ReplyDelete