Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Closing Thoughts on The Nanny

The Nanny is ending its run on nick@nite this week, and it will be moving to TV Land. I remember watching it last year, and getting hooked in to the show. I liked most stuff about it. I’m able to watch the show with Fran’s voice. I’m able to watch it with all the celebrity  guests. I’m able to deal with the (slighty) cliche plots. I’m able to deal with the nineties-centric clothing. But there’s one thing I’m unable to deal with: The length of the series.

The show lasted six seasons, which is a lot for most shows, especially since lots of sitcoms can’t get picked up past the pilot or first twelve episodes. I think the series has too many things going on in the last two seasons, specifically (In white for spoilers):

  • Fran and Maxwell get engaged and married within eight episodes.
  • Yetta gets engaged to to Sammy, played by Ray Charles.
  • Maggie thinks she’s pregnant.
  • Fran thinks she’s pregnant, but it turns out she wasn’t.
  • Fran really is pregnant a couple of episodes later. This time for real. :P And she’s having twins.
  • Max is asked to move to California, to make one of his plays a sitcom.
  • Niles proposes to C.C., she rejects him.
  • Maggie gets married.
  • Niles tries to propose again.
  • Fran gives birth to twins.
  • Niles and C.C. get married in Fran’s delivery room and C. C. is pregnant.
  • The Sheffields move to California.

Yeah, all that happened in two seasons. I’m not sure if the show got cancelled, or if Fran Drescher wanted it to end, or what, but I’d like to see another season so all these events wouldn’t seem so shoehorned and stuff. Alternatively, the producers could’ve write Fran and Max’s romance into the series earlier, and stop with all the “Will they or won’t they?” moments earlier.

But um, farewell Fran and the rest. See you on TV Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment