Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Elective Rant

Yes, I know it’s not that smart for me to discuss school choice stuff online for anonymous reasons; plus, I’m not going to make this decision until late February-ish, but I feel like this is the only place I could vent and get feedback.

I’m in Photo I this year. It’s a semester course. There are 6 Photo classes in the school at the moment (With budget cuts, that might change but whatever). The last three are independent study classes. As in, everything happens during studies, after school, or other free time.

The other day, I was thinking about whether I should continue Photo and was confused.

The class is fun, and I might want to continue photography outside of high school. Plus, I want to learn how to take better pictures and stuff.

On the other hand, it’s a time consuming, annoying class. Most of the time, I’m taking (and retaking pictures), developing and redeveloping, and the teacher gives me vague advice. A lot.

And plus, there’s only so much classes that I could take. Next semester, I’m taking Computers in Art (Which is pretty much just Photoshop), and Computer Science I (Which is like computer programming stuff). Next year, I’m (probably) taking Math SAT Prep, Computer Science 2 Honors, and… that leaves me a semester class. Yeah, sure, I’ll have plenty of space in Senior year to take those electives, but I don’t want to be in classes filled with lowerclassmen. Plus, there’s also another class which I’m interested in, so I want to take that, too.

So, any ideas? Am I just looking too much into this?

5 comments:

  1. In my school they changed a lot of requirements and stuff recently, so ours could be different, so how many electives can you take at one time? Like is it 3 or 2 at one time? Sorry, I was confused about that.

    As for the Photo class, will you get a different teacher next time you take the class, or are you stuck with them? If you do get to have another teacher, then I would take the second photo class cause the teacher you have right now might just be dumb. And even if you're stuck with them, you'll probably get better and stuff.

    If you really like it, then you should go for it even if it does take a lot of time. If not, then maybe look into other stuff. Sorry for the generic advice lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get two full year elective slots, or four semester slots. So we could take two to four at a time.

    I'm pretty sure that it's the same teacher I have now. And the teacher isn't dumb, but he keeps on babying the same few students, and whenever I ask for advice, he gives me vague advice. I could get better, but it would be easier if he'd help me out as much as he helps the others.

    And that's okay, it beats most advice I've gotten about this lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Oh, and for electives, students could technically drop their language after 9th, or science/social studies/math at 12th, so they get those 'slots' for electives, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm tough to say really. I would think about it for a little while more before making a final decision.

    ReplyDelete